You know what they say about the best laid plans…. My boundless heaps of enthusiasm at the beginning of June, for the transformation that would occur over summer, are now staring me straight in the face. I’m getting the family calendar ready for September and summer is now being measured in hours and days, instead of weeks.
Here’s what DIDN’T happen on my summer vacation. I hope it resonates with some of you other suntanned summer slackers out there, too.
- I didn’t get my bikini body back, but I swam anyway.
- My children didn’t become best friends, but there were moments that they liked each other. I have photos.
- My house didn’t get organized room by room, but my junk drawer got cleaned out and has stayed that way for two weeks.
- I didn’t prepare lovely meals for my family each day, but my kids kept growing even while subsisting on ratbomb chicken nuggets and buttered noodles.
- My family photos are still in dusty boxes as unorganized as they were on June 1, but I printed new albums from my phone. (Yay, Chatbooks!).
Every book didn’t get read, every house project didn’t get done, but man, did I have a great summer. If you slacked off this summer, just smile. I live pert’ near the artic circle, y’all. Nearly all of Minnesota becomes a mosquito hell at dusk. Every day spent in the sun is a reason to celebrate. I don’t feel bad about one damn thing I didn’t get done this summer. Not really. Neither should you. If your family had fun, you were able to relax, and there are pictures of the people you love most smiling in the sunshine then you did EXACTLY what you should have done this summer. Well done, friends, well done.
Keep sharing moxie. For real!